Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

Hello -stable:

I would like to install & run FreeBSD & track -stable on a
remote, headless, keyboardless machine in a colocation facility
to which I have minimal physical access at best.

Questions:

- How do I install FreeBSD on such a machine?  It has a CDROM
  drive, but is there a way to install without connecting a
  monitor & keyboard?

- How do I "make installworld" remotely with the system quiesced
  (shut-down to single-user mode)?  In other words, how can
  I access the system remotely from the network (Ethernet)
  via ssh if the system is single-user?  I would want to do
  something like the following:
  1.  make buildworld...
  2.  shutdown now (go to single-user)
  3.  make installworld & new kernel & install new kernel
  4.  shutdown -r now

- (Re)booting: How do ensure that the system reboots properly
  without any (physical) operator intervention (ie. after
  installing a new kernel)?

I've searched the Handbook & mailing lists & some of the Core
Team websites & can't find quite what I'm looking for.  FAQ,
documentation and/or "howto" pointers/references are *very*
welcome. :)

Many thanks,

-kc