Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:43:58 +0200
From:      sja@tekla.fi (Sakari Jalovaara)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-GAMMA - gdb.1

In a thread in current@freebsd.org:

>>> Have you removed you stale .depend files?
>
> ...Maybe this confused the make system...

Old .depend files seem to cause problems from time to time.

Would it be possible to make "make" print out _why_ it wants
to make a given file?  The above error message would tell you
"I want to make gdb.1 because /usr/obj/contrib/gnu/gdb/.depend
tells me to".

"make" would need to backtrack and print out its dependency tree
when an error occurs.  Maybe something like

make: don't know how to make foo.y.
	"foo.y" is needed to make "y.tab.c"
		(rule in /usr/share/mk/make-rules line 10)
	"y.tab.c" is needed to make "y.tab.o"
		(rule in /usr/obj/bin/frobozz/.depend line 2)
	"y.tab.o" is needed to make "frobozz"
		(rule in /usr/src/bin/frobozz/Makefile line 10)
	"frobozz" is needed to make "all"
		(rule in /usr/src/bin/frobozz/Makefile line 7)

I tried looking at the "make" sources but couldn't quite figure out
how the dependency tree structure works...  Any "make" hackers out
there?  Would this even be *possible*?
									++sja