Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:13:50 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

The idea that you have to pay a lot of money for an admin to configure a
Cisco router is baloney.  It's what the people like New Horizons like to
have you believe because they make a ton of money off of running poor
saps through their $500-a-pop Cisco training classes.

I've configured at least 20 different manuacturer's routers, some of it
is stuff that would make your hair stand on end.  Cisco IOS is the easiest
router operating system to use and the most well-documented in the world.  All
Cisco documentation for all their products is online and they have written an
enormous number of guides for new users.  They explain to the nth degree every
facet of
their products.

Any network admin that isn't a fat, lazy-ass can learn to configure a Cisco
router
with little effort.

And, if your so lazy that you can't even do that, you can take the lazy
way out and buy a $300-per-year service contract from Cisco, hang a modem
off the console connection, and call up Cisco TAC and open a trouble ticket
and they will do it for you.  Sheesh.

>Cheap doesn't equal insecure.

True in the overall scheme of things.  Very untrue when commercial products
are involved.

Cheap routers generate less money for the manufacturer than expensive routers.
The manufacturer who makes less money cannot afford to pay as high salaries.
The most experienced people in the business generally tend to work for the
most money.  The less experienced people tend to make mistakes more and not
produce as good quality work.  Thus, while it's not an absolute, overall your
going to find that cheaper commercial products are not as good quality.

Also another thing your going to find is that the technology companies
that don't make that much money are more liable to release products that
they later orphan.  They are also less likely to be profitable and more
likely to go bankrupt.

>> Specialized hardware routers came about later, and
>> to this day there's still many, many ISP's running
>> BGP4 on PC's with serial lines coming in to them.
>
>If it weren't for specialized hardware routers, the Internet would
>have ground
>to a halt long ago.

I doubt that anyone looking at the difference between use of FreeBSD as a
router and use of a hardware router is going to be running an Internet
backbone router.