Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:06:00 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSD

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:45:39AM +0000, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> supposed I have directory structure as follows
> /www/
>    Makefile
>    Packages/
> 	stuff
>    apache/
> 	stuff
>    perl/
> 	stuff
>    mysql/
> 	stuff
>
> I want to setup cvsd so that I can use cvs on the localhost which is a
> FreeBSD4.2-RELEASE box, and on at least 4 other computers that are various
> versions of windows.  They'll probably be using WinCVS1.8 or so.
>
> I've search the mailling list archives on freebsd.org for cvsd and the
> such.  I've also tried installing it from the ports directory and reading
> the man pages (which I might add although very detailed are long and
> confusing).

There is no such thing as cvsd.  You need to make a new CVS
repository, for instance /home/cvs/www and `import' that /www tree of
yours to the repository first.  Then, you can get a fresh copy of the
CVS repository's /home/cvs/www tree with:

	# cd /
	# cvs -d /home/cvs export -r HEAD www

To set up CVS as a server accessible with either :pserver: or :ext:
you will find valuable information in the info pages of CVS.  Try:

	% info "(cvs)"

and read the section entitled `Repository' at the top of the info.
The subsection 'Remote repositories' is what you are mostly interested
in to do what you want.

-giorgos