Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:39:59 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        dieterbsd@gmail.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ECC support

> On Sep 15, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 15 Sep, Dieter BSD wrote:
>> Many of AMD's CPU/APU parts support ECC memory.  Not just the top of =
the
>> line parts, but also many of the less expensive, less power hungry =
parts.
>> However, many (most?) of the boards for these chips do not support =
ECC,
>> or at least do not admit to it.  They specify "non-ECC memory".
>>=20
>> Obviously there have to be connections between the memory controller =
and
>> the memory for the extra bits.  Aside from a little extra time for =
the
>> board designer to add a few traces to the wire list, this would not
>> raise the cost of the board.  Despite this I have read that some =
boards
>> lack the necessary traces.
>=20
> I don't think the current APU parts support ECC.  My guess is that the
> current APU sockets don't have the connections to support it.

The G-Series (such as the T40E used on the APU) doesn=E2=80=99t support =
ECC.

=E2=80=9CKabini=E2=80=9D (=E2=80=9CG-Series 2.0=E2=80=9D aka GX-210 / =
GX-415/420) supports a single channel of ECC ram.

Honestly, at the densities used by some of these boards, ECC doesn=E2=80=99=
t make much sense.
(Obviously, if you=E2=80=99re running storage appliance, this position =
is reversed.)