Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:11:50 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        <Joe.Warner@smed.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD not recognizing memory

Joe,

I notice that the comments in LINT indicate that MAXMEM needs to be defined
only if the BIOS does not report the memory to FreeBSD correctly.  Perhaps
there is something unusual about the Compaq BIOS which confuses FreeBSD?
That would explain why FreeBSD works it out automatically on your other
platforms, but not on the Proliant servers - they probably all use a similar
BIOS.

I have personally never experienced this problem - but then I have also not
used FreeBSD on a Compaq.

Patrick.