Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:05:11 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Almost give up with this

--==_Exmh_252272640P

> Thanks for the info, Andy.  I didn't realize that Compaq was already
> using different chipsets.  That is always a problem with Compaq laptops.
> The configuration filet that I sent works with the LM chipset.

OK, that's a Rage 128 variant, exactly the same chipset as my Omnibook 6000.
It uses the Mach64 driver.

The Radeon Mobility M6 (LY) is the chipset in the Omnibook 6100 I had
recently, and uses the Radeon driver. Lots of vendors are shipping this now,
especially in higher-end laptops.

It's possible that you can force the older Radeon driver (e.g. from XFree 4.1)
to accept the chipset in the XFree86-config, but you potentially will still
have the issues with the laptop panel not probing.

There was an XFree86 commit that fixed this for me (and others with various
machines) on 11/15/01.

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_252272640P