Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 1996 20:53:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd & utmp

I've installed the latest getty w/ ppp detection, and it's working great.
I added some minor hacks to pppd as a result, in order to get utmp updated
as well (instead of just wtmp, as it currently does).  It's enabled with
the "utmp" option.  I'd like to add something that identifies them as
being ppp users, but I'm not quite sure what the "correct" approach should
be.  Thoughts:

1.  put "ppp" in the hostname field
2.  put the hostname associated with the assigned IP address in the hostname
    field (this feels "most" correct, but is more work)
3.  do nothing --- they're not really logging in over the network, don't
    corrupt the meaning of the hostname field and it's none of your business
    anyhow

Likewise, pppd just shows up in ps as being "root" and "pppd"; you have to
look at the tty then run w to see who it is.  I'm thinking of having pppd
modify it's arguments to show the user as argv[1], but I'm not sure how to
do that safely.  Do you just change the argv[1] pointer value?  I suppose
I could go look at sendmail or something else that does it...

--
Alan Batie                   ______
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Assimilate this!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.