Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 03:31:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmap portscan hangs X server?

In article <86eme569iu.fsf@localhost.hell.gr> you write:
>Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> writes:
>
>> I just installed nmap from ports and found out when i simply do a
>>
>> 	nmap 127.0.0.1
>>
>>  it'll hang the X server. (XFree86, not the latest version, mind you)
>> Can anyone reproduce this?  Be sure you can login over the net (or a
>
>Yep, it did creahs my box too.  Pity I can't use a network connection to
>kill the offending X server.  Can't find anything in the logs that says
>how this happen though.  Probably because I had to hit the big red
>button to recover my console, after the necessary reboot + fsck.

I since found this in the hung server's stdout/stderr log:

_XSERVTransSocketINETGetPeerAddr: getpeername() failed: 57
_XSERVTransSocketINETAccept: ...SocketINETGetPeerAddr() failed:

 but why it decides to not process anything anymore from its other
sockets after that i still have no idea. :(

 Btw is your X the latest?  And if not, anyone who runs it want to give
this a test?  If it still happens its probably worth a bug report to the
XFree86 people...

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>