Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 10:08:12 -0500
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        Rich Fox <rich@f2sys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socks5: auth failure--always

Hi,
  I believe I made a mistake in my original email.  The authentication
lines should probably read like this:

auth - - u
permit - - 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 - -

  I think it was permitting nobody with the "permit - - - - -" line.  A
good practice would probably be to set the permit line to allow only you
internal networks.  I would be a little wary about the SocksCAP application
though, we had a number of problems with it (under Win95 it caused major
Winsock instability) and just went with a firewall and NAT.  Also, we
noticed that over time socks5 processes started running away...

Ben

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant