Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:23:36 -0800
From:      Peter Kieser <pfak@telus.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

Scott Long wrote:

> 2.  New installer.  I know some people still consider this a joke, but
> the reality is that sysinstall is no longer state of the art.  It's
> fairly good at the simple task that it does, but it's becoming harder
> and harder to fix bugs and extend functionality in it.  It's also
> fairly unfriendly to those of us who haven't been using it since 1995.
> The DFly folks have some very interesting work in this area
> (www.bsdinstaller.com) and it would be very good to see if we can
> collaborate with them on it.

Please, don't change /stand/sysinstall *too* much, there is really
nothing wrong with the interface of it, and it's what makes FreeBSD so
"quick" to install. At the very least, make sure you do NOT go for an
XFree86 installation, and keep to the "KISS" approach. Visually wise,
theres nothing wrong with the current installer.. and its one of the
things I "promote" about FreeBSD -- the ease to install. It's small, its
fast.. and it works, however in error situations it does mess up badly.