Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:42:14 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reminder: NET_NEEDS_GIANT, debug.mpsafenet going away in 7.0

--nextPart1196626.J7k12aMeaH

[ Excess CC-list ... testers needed!!! ]

On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Robert Watson wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> This is a reminder e-mail that, in the very near future, Giant
> compatibility shims for network protocols will be removed.

<...>

> The *only* remaining case I am aware of where removing debug.mpsafenet
> presents an issue is credential-related firewall rules (uid, gid,
> jail).  I'm am currently in an active e-mail discussion with the
> various firewall maintainers about how to address this issue; as the
> implementations of these rules violate the global lock order, deadlocks
> occur if debug.mpsafenet isn't set to 1, which causes Giant to act as a
> guard lock preventing parallel lock acquisition in the firewall.=20
> Hopefully we will have this resolved, in some form, soon.

What we really need right now, is real understanding of the problem (if=20
there even is any).  So we would like to ask everybody who is able to -=20
to stress test user/group rules (in pf) or uid/gid/jail rules (in ipfw)=20
with debug.mpsafenet=3D1  It is normal that (in an WITNESS enabled kernel)=
=20
you get a LOR similar to 14-17 and 32 from [1].  Everything different to=20
those should be reported.

If you indeed get a deadlock, please let us know and provide as much=20
debugging information as you can.  DDB's "ps", "show locks", "show=20
alllocks" would be perfect, but detailed information how to repeat would=20
be a good start to already.

Thanks a lot!  If you are unable to provoke a deadlock, please let us know=
=20
as well.  Include a few setup details (ruleset, SMP, special sysctl=20
settings ...) so we can look for patterns.

[1] http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html

=2D-=20