Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 1998 23:36:40 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk-wait problems/hangs

  We're running 3.0-RELEASE on a few dual P-II boxes.
Occasionally, processes will start getting hung in 'D'
(disk-wait, IIRC), even on an otherwise-idle machine.  They
never come out, they aren't kill -9'able.  Once the system gets
into this state, commands like 'df' and 'ls' are likely to go into
disk-wait.  Eventually (on the order of minutes/hours),
something crucial like nfsd, ypbind, or sshd gets stuck in D,
and the machine requires a reboot.

  I can reproducibly force the cascade of D problems by running
an a.out Netscape -- it gets hung after <2 CPU seconds, and
things go downhill quickly.  But I believe the problems have
occurred before without the use of any a.out executables.

  Has anyone else seen this?

  Brian