Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:20:49 -0500
From:      Ed Budd <ebudd@grokking.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP question

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:21:22 -0800
Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us> wrote:

> * Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com> [2004-03-12 08:27]:
> > Greetings,
> > I installed 5.1-release on a box.  I installed cvsup from ports.
> > I then copied /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-sup /etc.
> >
> > I changed the file to point to a CVS server near me.  The notes
> > I was reading were specific to Freebsd 4.6.  Since I had
> > 5.1 installed I guessed I needed to choose RELENG_5 to
> > track 5.1 stable.  I then added the following lines to the
> > bottom of the file:
> >
> > ports-www tag=.
> > ports-net tag=.
> > ports-security tag=.
> > ports-sysutils tag=.
> >
> > I then did a cvsup /etc/stable-supfile.  The system trundled away,
> > showing on the screen file deletions, etc.
> >
> > When it finished (without any errors, and telling me it was
> > sucessful), I tried to cd /usr/src.  The directory was gone.
> > Hmm.... So, I modified the stable-sup file to use RELENG_5_1.   Then
> > did a cvsup /etc/stable-supfile.  But once it connected to the cvsup
> > server, it just hung.
> >
> > If I want to track 5.1-stable, what should I use ?
>
> Other folks on the list seem to understand this differently
> than I do.  My understanding is that the 'cutting-edge'
> development branch of 5.x is -CURRENT.  If this is what you
> are wanting to track, then use:
>
> src-all tag=.
>
> I've never heard of 5.1-stable.  Others may be able to give
> better answers.
>

> > thanks,
> > Darryl
>
> --
> Joshua
>
> All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
> 		-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2

As far as I know there is no 5.1-stable since the 5.x series is still
"experimental". If you want STABLE its RELENG_4 only. I don't
think RELENG_5 exists as a valid tag but I could be wrong. I've heard
elsewhere that using a non-existent tag may leave you with an
empty/usr/src so this is consistent with what you've described.

If all you want to do is track 5.1 REL with security errata (a.k.a
security branch) use:

tag=RELENG_5_1

I used this for some time before upgrading to 5.2.1 which uses:

tag=RELENG_5_2

I've found that occasionally the cvsup process will hang
because the particular mirror I've chosen is having problems or
there's network congestion, etc. Try another mirror with the correct tag
and let us know what happens.

EB