Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 19:28:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Parsons <jparsons@dreamscape.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd cd install ?

--0-1027521524-840410926=:23387

Reporting-MTA: dns; nova.dreamscape.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 19:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; root@arabian.astrolab
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; arabian.astrolab
Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 19:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1027521524-840410926=:23387

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 19:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jason Parsons <jparsons@nova.dreamscape.com>
To: Randy <root@arabian.astrolab>
Subject: Re: install question CDROM?

Me again.  : - )

> >OK, My HD is connected to the first ide adapter on the motherboard.  The
> >CD is connected to the second.  I tried to change those around and it
> >didn't make a difference.  I have used the CD drive in the past under
> >DOS, so I would guess that it is enabled in CMOS, but I am not sure and
> >don't know how to find out.  The only thing I can see in the setup is for
> >ide HD drives, setting sizes and etc.  I believe based on poor
> >documentation that it is Triton 3.  But again, I don't know how to find
> >out.  I see nothing about 'wcd0' in boot.  This seems related, but I
> >think is just my HD??
> >(From the boot:)
> >wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 on isa
> >wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST51270A>
> >wd0: 1223 MB (2504880 sectors), 2485 cyls, 16 heads, 63 s/t, 512 b/s
> >wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
>
>   Yes you do need atapi support on the boot floppy. If you can't get a boot
>   image with atapi support you can make a DOS boot disk with the CD-ROM
>   drivers and install that way.  That's usually the way I do it.  From
>   the installation menu ( or later from sysinstall ) I create the UNIX boot
>   disk.  Typically I just use a DOS boot disk with "device=mtmcdai.sys
>   /d:cdrom" in a config.sys file and "mscdex.exe /d:cdrom /m:1 > 5 /l:d"
>   in the autoexec.bat.  Of course these drivers have to be located on
>   the floppy.  Once booted I can change to the cd and run "view" to get
>   started (for 2.1.5, inst_ide for 2.1.0).

OK, I made a DOS boot disk to load my CD drivers.  It says:
ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver version V1.50 (12/11/1995)
Coptright(c) MITSUMI ELECTRIC CO.,LTD. 1994,1995
1 drive(s) detected
	unit 0, SLAVE, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170

A:\>mscdex.exe /d:cdrom /m:15 /l:d
MSCDEX Version 2.23
Copyright(c) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1993.  All rights reserved.
	Drive D: = Driver CDROM unit 0

I then go to drive d, the cd drive.  I run view.  I select the
install.bat option.  It starts the install.  All that is says in the boot
regarding my cd drive is:
.
.
.
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
.
.
.
Then I select novice installation, go through the partition stuff, and
select cdrom as the installation media.  It says "Message: No CD ROM
devices found!..."  (Yes, it does say this after booting from a CD
drive.)  So, it seems to me that DOS is finding my CD drive fine, FreeBSD
is finding my drive as device wdc1, and the sysinstall will not recognise
it.  Now what??  Thanks a whole lot for all the help.  I would be even
more lost without it.  : - )

--0-1027521524-840410926=:23387--