Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 19:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: de driver bug?

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Andrew Webster wrote:

> 2. When there is no cabled plugged into the adapter, the kernel during
>    probing, configures it for the AUI (doesn't have one) port.  Once the
>    system has booted, you have to initialize it with ifconfig {params}
>    -link2 to get the UTP port to work again, but just ifconfig
>    (before init) doesn't show that link2 is infact on.  This took a few
>    minutes to figure out what was really going on!

Not to confuse the issue but.. Recently I built a machine with a couple
'no brand' DC21040-based boards.

It was found after some considerable hassle that the slot position had
some bearing on the reliability of active port detection.

At this point it appears to detect with 100% reliablilty; this on -current
from about mid June.

regards
kim

--