Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:43:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xorg 7.7_3 Lenovo woes

I am trying to pursue if there are any configure changes that might work on
the X11 mailing list. What I was hoping for here was finding out if there
is another way to get at this. The Lonovo ideapad 700 has the following
graphics hardware:

vgapci1@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x380a17aa chip=0x191b8086
     rev=0x06 hdr=0x00 vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = 'HD Graphics 530'
     class      = display
     subclass   = VGA

vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x030200 card=0x380b17aa chip=0x134710de
     rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00 vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
     device     = 'GM108M [GeForce 940M]'
     class      = displayNVIDIA
     subclass   = 3D

And the GeForce 940M is not supported. So far I have not been able to come
up with a configuration to have xorg use the Intel card. 7.7_2 did this by
default.

So the first question and easiest solution for me is: have all the 11.0 and
or 11.1 package repositories been purged from the internet? Failing that
how about a ports tree? A fix to this problem does not seem to be coming in
the near term. I will not make the mistake again of not having a full
backup of a working system before doing any kind of xorg update. The other
thing that might work is a ISO set that included xorg prior to 7.7_3. I
would not running 11.0 or even 10.x. FreeBSD versions 10.1 --> 11.3 have
just worked.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com