Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 11:56:05 -0800
From:      "Jonathan H. Ballard" <cybertronix@softcom.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@bsd.unix.sh>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3 to 3.4 changes in Cplusplus affect FreeBSD source

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Jonathan H. Ballard <cybertronix@softcom.net> [000209 08:51] wrote:
> > Sound technical advocacy is part of the stand I have taken.  The
> > reasonable factor I hope appears as we chat about C++ vs C and the
> > affect of FreeBSD source.
>
> Could we drop this?  There's no 'discussion' to be had, you have 2
> choices:
>
> a) upgrade the entire system
> b) install a newer C compiler from the ports tree avoiding a system
>    upgrade.
>
> Since for some reason 'a' offends you, then I suggest trying option
> 'b'.

what happen to

 c) free to chose  (more alternatives)

"FreeBSD is Free"

> > >From my point of view it appears C++ used to be modularized
> > and now it is more a tighter knit towards the core
> > development.  C++ is a language with strictness.
> > This strictness might not be flexible enough stableness.
> > (more...)
>
> say what?

oops
this strictness might not be flexible enough in stableness

> > (and in the news Yahoo and other sites got DOS attacks...
> > and they run on FreeBSD...yet just something extra
> > to advocate)
>
> huh?

> > Maybe this should be kept to freebsd-advocacy.
> >

> No it shouldn't, perhaps freebsd-twilightzone.

let me know when the subscription works

> I'd rather you just drop the subject, again you have several choices:
>
> a) use the port.
> b) cvsup/upgrade (see: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html)
> c) use the port.
> d) look at the change that was made:
>    (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src) and try to 'backport' it
>    to your version of 3.3 and recompile it
> e) USE THE PORT.
> f) USE THE PORT.
> g) USE THE PORT.
>
> got it?

"use the port" means?

ack
it is hard to advocate the technicalness of this reply

--
 cybertronix@softcom.net  jon.ballard@usa.net
   http://www.softcom.net/users/cybertronix