Date:      Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:06:32 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Effective rule sets in a jail?

Grzegorz Junka wrote on 07/07/2016 11:42:

> OK, I am just an user, not very familiar with the terminology. For me
> (as a programmer) inheriting means overriding, so merging the more
> specific to the less specific declarations.
>
> Does it mean that the "inheriting" works in nested declarations but
> doesn't take into account the default value? In other words, the default
> is just default unless it re-defined in a jail declaration. If that's
> the case then wouldn't be more clear to name the "outside" default
> declaration as default, e.g. "default_devfs_ruleset"? Then it would be
> more difficult to confuse the default with the one that can be inherited.

I think it is simple in current form. (And I am not sys developer, I was
web application programmer before I became sysadmin)
I started with jails long time before jail2 with jail.conf. Current
jail.conf is soooo simpler in comparision with rc.conf style variables.

Naming each default variable with different name will be harder to code,
harder to write in jail.conf, harder to document in manpages.

Almost all programming languages works the same in this context - later
variable definition wins.

So you can easily define all variables needed to run jails and then set
just those specific to one jail - IPs and hostname:

## Typical static defaults:
## Use the rc scripts to start and stop jails.  Mount jail's /dev.
exec.start = "/bin/sh /etc/rc";
exec.stop  = "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown";
exec.clean;
exec.system_user   = "root";
exec.jail_user     = "root";
mount.devfs;
devfs_ruleset      = 4;
enforce_statfs     = 1;
#allow.set_hostname = false;
#allow.mount;
allow.set_hostname = 0;
allow.sysvipc      = 0;
allow.raw_sockets  = 0;

## Dynamic wildcard parameter:
path            = "/vol1/jail/$name";
exec.consolelog = "/var/log/jail/$name.console";
mount.fstab     = "/etc/fstab.$name";

## Jail myjail0
myjail0 {
         host.hostname = "myjail0.example.conf";
         ip4.addr      = 10.20.30.40;
}

## Jail myjail1
myjail1 {
         host.hostname = "myjail1.example.conf";
         ip4.addr      = 10.20.30.41;
}

devfs_ruleset is the same as the other variables - you can't (and I hope
nobody expect) to merge global default value of e.g. exec.system_user or
allow.sysvipc with variables defined in specific jail context. Those
variables can have only one value (bool, or string, or number; not an
array). It is the same for devfs_rules. Can't have more than one numeric
value, can't combine two together.

I think you will be familiar with this very soon.

Miroslav Lachman