Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:26:59 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

VPN connections are layer 3 and
have nothing to do with the DSLAM.   We have many ADSL customers that use
NT servers on their ADSL lines and regularly support many VPN clients logged
in simultaneously.  (of course many of those folks also got nailed by Code Red
but
that's another story)

>> Correct - but as I said, not everyone is lucky
>> enough to be network admin at a company that
>> has mature adults as employes.
>
>I've long been convinced that admins that feel compelled to spy have some
>serious maturity problems of their own.

It depends on the environment.  We have one customer that manages a paper mill
network, the mill runs 24x7 as most manufacturing operations do.  They have
caught the security guards burning up hours of time at 2 am viewing porno
because they proxy all http.  Believe me the admin would have not said
anything
if it was just a few sites for a few minutes or so.

>A BSD box used as a router may be too busy to do much else.

I can show you plenty of vmstat outputs from a variety of BSD boxes running as
routers that show that this isn't the case.

>A lack of local storage makes a system much harder to crack.

No.  It makes the system harder to destroy or use to mount attacks on others
once it's cracked, but the presense of absense of local storage doesen't
affect
the number of holes into the router.