Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:56:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOCKS port inspires question...

 * OK.  The SOCKS5 port is broken currently under elf.  No one seems to
 * have noticed this at all, which leads me to believe that it isn't as
 * popular a port as netscape...  :-)
 *
 * Anyway, since I'm the maintainer and I use socks, I thought I'd dig
 * into the problems with it.  jdp was kind enough to accelerate his
 * implementation of LD_PRELOAD for ELF.  I've managed to get the port
 * working for ELF.  However, I have several questions that I don't think
 * have been addressed before.
 *
 * First, how do I know tell at compile time what the object format for
 * the port is?  It seems to make a difference for symbol lookup in
 * dlsym.  I have some mail into jdp that I just sent, so this might not
 * be a problem.

The guidelines are in:

http://www.freebsd.org/~asami/elf-guidelines.txt

 * Second, socks seems to be unique in that it has a runsocks command.
 * This command is unique, afaik, in that it sets LD_PRELOAD and runs the
 * reset of the command line.  This works great when you have just one
 * binary format on your system, but buys the large agricultural land
 * area when presented with an AOUT binary with a ELF library.  Moving
 * the AOUT library to the standard place (/usr/local/lib ->
 * /usr/local/lib/aout) doesn't solve this problem because we set
 * LD_PRELOAD to be libsocks5_sh.so and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
 * /usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}.  The only way I see to fix it would
 * be to do a file on the command, then try to jigger the path based on
 * the file type.  Thinking about this for a moment tells me this won't
 * work on -stable or a aout system, so I'd also have to check the
 * libsocks5_sh.so as well.  Yuck!

I'm not sure what exactly is the problem here, but the ELF library
should be called libfoo.so.M and the a.out version libfoo.so.M.N.
Maybe you can use "objformat" to find out the system's version and
just load the appropriate file (and set the path, etc.).

Satoshi