Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:48:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Dylan Northrup <northrup@ucet.ufl.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: password question

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Dylan Northrup wrote:

> We're intending on putting a FreeBSD box into production along some AIX
> boxes.  Is there some sort of way that we can get compatability between
> the password generated by FreeBSD and the passwords on the AIX boxen?

  What kind of passwords does AIX use?  If it DES, you're set.

> Currently we rdist the password files to the various machines.  Previously
> we used yp/NIS, however the password maps were compromised and the idea of
> using NIS around here again has not been well received.

  You have to setup NIS carefully.  NIS should only be used within a
trusted cluster of machines, with no physical access for anyone except
admins.  FreeBSD NIS has some additional security stuff in it, but you
have to disable them for compat with other systems.

> Are they any ideas that would help with this problem (and, no, we can't
> just depricate the AIX boxes, no matter how much I'd love to)?
>
> --
> Dylan Northrup <*>
> northrup@ucet.ufl.edu <*>
> http://www.ucet.ufl.edu/~northrup <*>

> Random B5 Quote
> "Sometimes you have to heal the family before you heal the patient."
>   -- Dr. Franklin, "Believers"

Tom