Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:23:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rjoe@sierrahill.com (Joe Schwartz)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rjoe@sierrahill.com
Subject:   Re: max user ID length?

Joe Schwartz wrote,
> Folks,
>
> This is on release 3.1.
>

> What is the maximum length for a login ID. I thought it
> was 8 characters ... but just installed majordomo and
> realized after I'd done the 'adduser' that it was 9
> characters ... and I can login as mojordomo.
>
> I have just created users on this machine which were on an
> NT server where some had longer than 8 characters.
>
> Could I have created these long user ID's without truncating
> at 8 characters?

From the 3.0 Release Notes
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/notes.html),

1.3. USERLAND CHANGES
.
.
.
The default username length has increased to 16 characters.
Caution:  Old utmp/wtmp files will NOT work with this change since
the data records will be of the old size.  For a conversion utility
to aid with this, see /usr/src/tools/3.0-upgrade.