Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 22:01:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting sound to work with FreeBSD

Working directly with device drivers in UNIX has been the bane of my
existance for some time now.  Trying to keep all the abreviations
straight seems like a full time job.  Anyway, I have a Gravis
Ultrasound and I want to get it working on my FreeBSD partition.  I've
done the "MAKEDEV sndgus0" which created a handful of devices in /dev.
Then I installed rplay and fired up the server to play sounds through
/dev/dsp.  Everything I throw at it, however, always comes out as a
dull static roar.

Anybody have any insights in how to get sound working correctly on
FreeBSD?  Do I need additional software?  RPlay says it understands
.WAVs and that's about all I have to throw at it right now.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee                        | You're never dead 'til you're )
( wsantee@wsantee.oz.net             | out of quarters.  --InSoc     )