Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:53:38 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

At 7:01 PM +0200 6/17/98, Nick Hibma wrote:
> Let's separate between two different issues. One, the more important
> and urgent one: your point of creating a list of packages which should
> be optional but most probably necessary on a newly installed system.

That's not quite the way I'd describe my goal.

I want a short list of packages (presumably things from the ports
collection) available as part of the very initial install process.
This list would only include packages which are very likely to be
needed (at least by some users) almost immediately after that
first system reboot.

Just as importantly, I do *not* want the initial install to present
a user with a list of 1000 packages which they "may" want to install.
All those packages can be dealt with after that first system reboot.
I think it is counterproductive to present people with the complete
list when they are doing a fresh install.

> The idea of profiles is the other one and as you say, it is a
> slippery slope.

The idea of profiles seems reasonable to me, I just wouldn't pop
them up as part of the initial system install process.  When I did
my first freebsd installs, I would have been better off (I think)
if fewer choices presented themselves to me until after the install
was done.

> To avoid the problem Garance had when installing FreeBSD (supposedly
> nuking his fresh installation during the installation of XFree), maybe
> some consolidation stage should be added (reboot) after dumping a
> README on what to do next to the screen/to more.

Just to clarify a little bit, I didn't have a problem due to installing
XFree, I had it when I went to configure XFree during the install.  It
was I who decided to nuke the installation after that, because I wasn't
sure where in the process I was.  I don't want to leave the impression
that XFree nuked anything that had already been installed.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute