Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:42:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      "William D. Ward" <euswdwj@exu.ericsson.se>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PCNet-32: back for more

Maybe this is a bit old but I would like get started on it again.
The difficulty is with a Compaq Deskpro XL 590 and the ethernet interface.
Ifconfigging lnc1 results in:

lnc1: Initialization failed

It the interface appears to be failing a test in lnc_init() from
/sys/i386/isa/if_lnc.c.  Here:

        if (read_csr(sc, CSR0) & IDON) {
        } else
                log(LOG_ERR, "lnc%d: Initialisation failed\n",
                    sc->arpcom.ac_if.if_unit);

read_csr(sc, CSR0) returns 0x8881.  According to the specs on the AMD79C970,
this indicates ERR & MISS & INTR & INIT.  Perhaps this is bogus information?
Would this the correct data sheet (lnc1 probe message below)?  Based on
Whitaly's message, it might not be.

Witaly Kurakolow:
> AM79C974KC - dual PCI Ethernet/SCSI chip
> where :
> Ethernet part similar to AMD79C970
>   this chip have 2 modes
>   16 bit - compatible with old ISA AMD chips
>   32 bit - not compatible

lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 2 int b irq 10 on pci0:11
        mapreg[10] type=1 addr=00007000 size=0020.
lnc1: PCnet-32 VL-Bus address 00:80:5f:f4:70:6d
            ^^
            this means it is in 32 bit mode?

If so then what options are available?

> SCSI part similar to AMD53C974
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.x use pci wrapper for ethernet half of this card,
> and card detected as lnc1 and work in 16 bit mode
>
> !!! Use ifconfig lnc1 !!!!
>
> P.S.
> On my work we have COMPAQ Prosignia-500 with same Ethernet adapter
> and running FreeBSD-2.2.2

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  The hardware is here
and it would be no problem for me to try out any patches or suggestions.

Would anybody be interested if I come up with a solution other than
plugging in an extra ethernet card?  Just hearing the cold winds blow in
a desolate, lonely existence.  Such is life.

P.S.  I'm running 2.2.5 now.