Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:20:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ls ~userid no longer works...

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Marc G.
Fournier had to walk into mine and say:

> Hi...
>
> 	I realize that this is a really vague question, but for
> some reason or another, last night, my -current machine stopped being
> able to deal with a simple command such as 'ls ~userid'...it comes
> back with Unknonw User...

None of the code NIS code in libc has changed since before 2.1.5 was
frozen (in either branch). Last bit of hacking I did was on the database
cache code in ypserv. I can't see how that could cause this kind of problem
(it could cause problems if I screwed up, but they'd be a bit more
severe than this, I think :).

> 	I'm running the -current machine as an NIS client off of
> a -stable achine, neither of which have been upgrded in over a week..

Ah, nevermind then. I didn't change the -stable ypserv.

> 	So far as I can tell, there is nothing that I've changed on
> either of my machines in that time, as I haven't had much time to
> work on either...

Then maybe somebody else changed something for you. Or maybe you
changed something which you think is totally unrelated but that really
isn't (this is usually the case -- it's happened to me many times). Have
you added any new users lately? If so, are you absitively, posolutely
sure their NIS passwd entries are formatted correctly? What about
group entries? Is /var/yp/<yourdomain/passwd.byuid intact? Did you
run out of disk space on /var while trying to update it? Can you
do a yp_mkdb -u on it and get see all the entries in it correctly?

Splunge?

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."