Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      root@apn.dhs.org
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/10603: Random system panics

The following reply was made to PR kern/10603; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: root@apn.dhs.org
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:18:53 -0800 (PST)

 >Number:         10603
 >Category:       kern
 >Synopsis:       Random system panics
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       serious
 >Environment:
 kernel.GENERIC

 	The system panics at seemingly random times and requires
 	a human to hit a key and restart it.

 >How-To-Repeat:

 	Contrary to popular belief, this panic has a cause. I discovered
 	that failed login attempts at the console that leave a character
 	at the Login: prompt without a carriage return will cause the
 	panic. For instance, a child comes by and types "kkwl" at the
 	console, then leaves. The system will eventually panic and require
 	rebooting. This does not seem to happen if the carriage return
 	is pressed last.