Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:25:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        vanmaren@cs.utah.edu, sclawson@cs.utah.edu
Subject:   MFS hang when copying large file to it (vm problem?)

Brief summary:

  System:  3.0-release (plus a few days of -current)
  Memory:  128M
  Swap:    512M on /dev/wd0s3b
  /tmp:    256M MFS backed to /dev/wd0s3b

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/zero bs=64k count={large enough to force
       swapping of the file being DD'd.  3000 does the trick nicely}

  will cause the system to hang.  The symptoms are very similar to
those reported in Feb. 1998

in:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=412721+415177+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-hackers/19980215.freebsd-hackers

(Search for "VM AND messed" in -hackers to get the full thread)

where Don Lewis stated:

    Do you think this could explaint the MFS related hangs I've been seeing
    in 2.1-stable?  If I use MFS for /tmp, copy a large file into /tmp,
    delete the file, then copy it into /tmp again, the machine will hang.
    It responds to pings.  It will also respond to ^T until I try to
    interrupt a process with ^C.  The only way to unhang it is to use
    the reset button.

It's fairly trivial to reproduce, but we're running SMP with our
typical heavily networked environment.  Has anyone encountered this,
have a fix for it, or care to try to reproduce it on a less
complicated machine, before I submit a PR and/or dig more deeply into
it?

Thanks in advance,

   -Dave

--