Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:13:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cdsec.com>
Cc:        bright@hotjobs.com (Alfred Perlstein), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hanging/rebooting

> We have been basing our firewall on 2.2.2 since about a month after
> it was released. We have a reasonably large number of firewalls installed,
> The problem is occurring on about 4 of them, which have been handling
> increasing loads over time. All of them have been running for at least six
> months (previously on FreeBSD 2.1.6).
>
> Two have 32Mb RAM, and two have 64Mb. The swap space in each is calculated
> as (16Mb + 2 x physical).

If it's any consolation, I have seen this problem at a local ISP
friend whom I help out from time to time and I'm no closer to fixing
it either.  It seems to be a combination of some bogus code in inetd
and a low-resource condition, though just what that condition is it's
hard to fathom since different people report different symptoms.  To
cite my ISP friend as an example, the errors started to occur most
frequently when they lost a 2nd disk and the amount of available
swap space decreased by half, then the problems started happening
very frequently (and they run many web servers + some large perl5
CGI scripts there).  Others, like yourself, report that it's not swap
related at all.  Gah.  What to do?!

- Jordan