Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:38:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd is jumpy

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Brian Dean wrote:

> I use natd and a 56k phone connection to my ISP so that all my
> computers can share one line.

	Is this an internal/external modem or a router connection to the
	outside?

> This all works fine, but I experience very noticeable jumpiness when
> typing over a telnet connection to a remote system.  Delays of 7-10

	How many machines are on this setup and use it at the same time?

> seconds between typing characters and them appearing on my screen are
> not uncommon.  If I rebuild my kernel without IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT,
> and disable natd and the firewall code, these delays go away so I am
> assuming that it is natd/firewall/divert that is responsible for this
> delay.

	Was there anyone sharing the bandwidth WHILE natd was configured
	and running?  If so, try running NAT with noone else on sharing
	bandwidth and see if you get the same delays.  Could it be
	possibly that when you rebooted, after the kernel rebuild, no
	other machines were able to use the same bandwidth because nat was
	turned off?  Those delays could be normal if the other machines
	were surfing or using the majority of your bandwidth.  Try turning
	natd on unplugging the 'inside' interface from the network and
	then run your tests.

	How 'far' away is the machine you are telneting to?  1,2,3 hops?
	Ping the host and see what times you are getting, both with NAT
	turned on and without.

	I run this setup with ISDN at home and never see delays on either
	diverted range (192.168.0.0/24) or my routeable subnet.  Of
	course, I am running stable though.

Nick Rogness		       File not found...
System Administrator	       Should I fake it (Y/N)?
RapidNet, INC