Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:10:51 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   newpcm driver with Via AC97 integrated sound

I bought a couple of Gigabyte motherboards with Via KM266 chipset. I was
able to get FreeBSD working almost completely except for sound recording.

The problem is that when you spec 44100 sample rate, you actually
get 22050 with a lot of "digital noise", like a raspy buzz.

I played with audacity and with a C program that I wrote and have
used on several different systems with FreeBSD and they both had
the same problem.

I remember when I first tried to bring up the pcm driver on my
Dell 4000 laptop with ESS, back about 4.1 days,  I had a similar problem
(not quite the same, but it was noisy recording with the sample rate being
off, not by 1/2 , but perhaps 25% slow). When I upgraded to 4.5,
this went away. I only mention this as it was a similar problem and
perhaps the fix is similar?

Thanks,

Jim