Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 21:39:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        scot@poptart.org (Scot Elliott)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing

> Hi... I'm trying to configure my 2.2.2 box to route IPX packets betweek
> our small office LAN and a larger LAN so that our Windows machines can
> talk to Netware servers on the larger network.  I've changed IPX-routing
> to 'YES' in the rc.conf file, run IPXrouted and added IPX to the
> kernel.  But how do I setup the IPX addresses on the interface and how
> do I know what network numbers to use?

You add it to your rc.conf file. The interface name must be added to the
network_interface line, but you will probably have that already if you
have ip configured on that interface. Then you need a line with the
ipx network number, something like this:

ifconfig_ed0_ipx="ipx 0x12345678"

Your larger lan (with the Netware server(s) on it) will already have
a network number. You should be able to find that out from the sysadmin
or look on the Netware server (if you can) to see what it use on its
interface. For your own lan you can use anything as long as it isn't
used somewhere else on any of the lans you are connected to.

Remember that the standard FreeBSD IPX code only supports Ethernet_II
framing, not any of the others.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za