Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 00:01:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Alex Root <alex@twoteeth.net>
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mkmf-4.11

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Alex Root wrote:

>  a little problem
> Hi
> I've installed  gmake and i installed it over make (cp gmake make)
> now I cant compile anything at all.
> Since you make mkfm which utilises make, do you think you can tell me
> in what package the "make" command can be found ?
> or in what port ?
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
> in desperate need of help.
> Thank you

That was a pretty major mistake.  FreeBSD's make is the BSD 4.4 make.  The
GNU make has many major differences, including a lot of thing I personally
think they made different just because they could.  I always get steamed
at folks who toss in incompatibilities for no good reason.

Nothing will work until you replace the make.  You're running 3.4?  Mail
me at work tomorrow, at chuckr@torrentnet.com, I have a 3.4 machine there,
I'll mail you back the original 3.4 make.

Let the port do what it wants to do, which is to install the GNU make as
gmake.  Tip?  Next time you feel like experimenting and replacing some
part of the main system, rename the original file as file.orig, so if it
breaks things, you can fix it.

> Regards,
> Alex. W.
> http://www.twoteeth.net

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.