Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:04:42 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        "Edwin D. Vinas" <edwin_vinas@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal sound card cannot be recognized

On Monday 22 September 2003 02:24 am, you wrote:
> Im using freebsd 4.8 and KDE where i usualy get d eror
> during startx.
> --- owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> <algould@datawok.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 September 2003 10:01 pm, Edwin D. Vinas
>
> wrote:
> > > When i turn on my FreeBSD machine, I often receive

> > > pop-up window saying there's a problem with my
>
> sound
>
> > > card (internal sound card). It says that it
>
> couldn't
>
> > > open or find /dev/dsp0 or something similar. Is
>
> there
>
> > > a way to slve this?
> > >
> > > -edwin
> >
> > What version of FreeBSD are you running?
> > Are you getting that message in KDE?
> > Have you recompiled the kernel for sound card
>
> support?
>
> > Andrew
>

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> best regards,
>
> \___\__\_______/__/ Edwin D. Vi=F1as http://edwin.ontheweb.com

KDE looks for sound card support when starting up.  The default installatio=
n=20
of FreeBSD 4.8 does not have sound card support compiled in the kernel.  If=
=20
you have not added sound card support to the kernel configuration and=20
compiled a custom kernel, there is no sound card support for KDE to find.

If you have a PCI sound card, it is likely that adding 'device     pcm' to =
the=20
kernel configuration file will work.  For kernel configuration and=20
compilation instructions, see:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould