Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:16:13 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gconfd-1 and gnome2, and the faq

SUP.

so, gnome2 apps will not run if gconfd-1 is running. plain and simple,
they fail every time with:

	a) a popup box that says:
		An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
		information for <whatever program>. Some of your configuration
		settings may not work properly.

	b) stderr spits out:
		Configuration server couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
		IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0

the solution, then is to simply killall gconfd-1.

however, how can gconfd-1 be prevented from starting in the first place?
every time i load up galeon, for example, won't gconfd-1 start? if i
start gconfd-2 first, will that prevent gconfd-1 from loading? will this
cause the gnome1 programs to fail in a similar fashion at some point?

also: i know i'm not the only person who has come across this hurdle.
perhaps an entry into the gnome2 FAQ would be useful? i'd be happy to
submit a patch for this purpose, but i wanted to check before i bounced
into a project i haven't been involved with before.

and also, FWIW, under question 7 of the gnome2 faq, "where can i get
more themes for gnome 2.0," Sunshine in a Bag no longer exists.

thanks for taking the time to consider my questions. this is not one of
the lists to which i subscribe, so please cc: me on your replies.

take care.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."