Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:10:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        angio@aros.net (Dave Andersen)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, khetan@iafrica.com, hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd@iafrica.com, danielc@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: Fingering other servers broken in 2.2 and -current ?

>    Er, no.  Finger on FreeBSD 2.2 and later tries to use T/TCP by default.
> I'd probably call this a bug, since it causes finger to not work properly
> with the majority of servers extant on the Internet.

Ah.

No, the bug is in an intermediate host TCP implementation.

>   Unless someone can present a good reason for finger being broken WRT
> the vast majority of servers out there, I'll send-pr this.

Even pre-extension TCP implementations were required to allow data
on SYN packets.  If there is one which does not, it is non-compliant
and should be bugreported to the manufacturer.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.