Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:16:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really slow FTP performance on 3.1-RELEASE?

Summoner wrote:

> I've been having some very poor FTP transfer perfromance on my home
> LAN.  (See below for systems info)
>
> When I upload from rook (client) to mason (server), I get 2.1MBps.
> That's not a problem, I consider it pretty decent performance given
> the uploading machine runs Windows 98.  When I download from mason to
> rook, however, I only get ~9.3KBps.
>
> The test file was an ~18.3MB Win32 SFX install (a small program
> with a large body of compressed data attached).  Disk space is
> limited on mason, so I couldn't try a much larger file.
>
> Downloads from internet FTP sites to rook or mason give me upwards of
> 75KBps.  I had a friend download the test file from mason over the
> internet and he got ~28KBps.
>
> Any ideas why local downloading from mason would be so slow?
>
> Info:
> mason:
>
> CPU: AMD k5-100
> Mainboard: MTI R533, 430VX chipset
> OS: 3.1-RELEASE
> NICs: Two Intel EtherExpress Pro's
>
> uname -a:
> FreeBSD mason.home.lan 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Jul 24 00:49:58 P
> DT 1999     noc@mason.home.lan:/usr/src/sys/compile/MASON  i386
>
> I haven't done anything to optimize things other than building a
> custom kernel.

You haven't told up some important system information such as how much
memory you have and what kind of hard drives you have on both systems.
The flow of information begins with how fast the client is at
obtaining information and then the network comes in to play.

My ifconfig -a shows the following

kent@ruby$ ifconfig -a
fxp0: flags=8847<UP,BROADCAST,DEBUG,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        inet 169.254.0.3 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
        ether 00:90:27:42:f3:17
        media: 100baseTX status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UT
P <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

This was setup from from my /etc/rc.conf where I have
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 169.254.0.3 debug netmask 255.255.0.0 media
100baseTX"

If you had IDE drives on "mason", you will have to force PIO or DMA
and read ahead with "flags on your HD controller". It is usually
better if you test it by booting and doing a visual config at startup.
The flags I use are "flags 0xa0ffa0ff" on both IDE controllers.
Setting flags like this has been known to hang a system and adding the
parameters at boot saves a step.

My configuration from a "dmesg | more" shows the following

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 91303D6>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 12427MB (25450992 sectors), 25249 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <WDC AC32500H>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd1: 2441MB (4999680 sectors), 4960 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

Usually such bismal performance often comes from a reverse DNS problem
where you are in one host table but not the other.

You may also have to force full duplex on the 3C905B in your NIC
parameters on Win 98.

Beyond what I have shown you I don't have any idea what is happening
but check your setup and then get back. You would be asked some of
this later and it gives you a slight start on the process as who ever
has an idea would ask you what your settings are.

Kent

> Network services daemons are telnet, sendmail, and ftp.  Telnet and
> sendmail are seldom used.  The FTP server is the stock ftpd "Version
> 6.00", started from rc.local as "/usr/libexec/ftpd -lAD"
>
> mason also serves as the gateway for my LAN, running natd and ipfw.
>
> rook:
>
> CPU: Pentium II 350Mhz (OCed to 361MHz)
> Mainboard: Asus P2B-S M/B, 440BX chipset
> OS: Windows 98 (4.10.1998 "First Edition")
> NIC: 3c905B-TX
>
> The two machines are connected directly by a ~10-foot crossover Cat5
> cable in 100mbps mode, not sure about the duplex mode.  dmesg only
> gives me hardware resources and MAC addresses.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME