Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:48:27 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Subject:   Re: Status of PCIe Hotplug?

On 09/27/2016 12:16, Borja Marcos wrote:
> I have noticed that the GENERIC kernel in 11-STABLE includes the PCI_HP option, and the
> hotplug bits seem to be present in the kernel, but I don’t see any userland support for it.
>
> Is it somewhat complete and in that case am I missing something?

I do not know kind of userland support you mean. I just tried:

Plugging in my USB 3.0 ExpressCard while 11.0 is running, the controller
was detected and I was able to use USB devices with it. Great.

Unplugging the ExpressCard led to a panic two out of two trials, no
matter if I had used it for USB devices before or not.

So we have hotplug, but no hotunplug...

With 10.3, it was the other way around. Of course, there was no hotplug,
but when I accidentally pulled the ExpressCard, the USB controller would
just disappear and never reappear without a panic.

I do not know what I like better, though.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik