Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 06:54:04 PDT
From:      "P. M." <philmich@hotmail.com>
To:        is@jocelyn.rhein.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Immediate disconnect when dialing my ISP

>From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
>To: "P. M." <philmich@hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: Immediate disconnect when dialing my ISP
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:50:43 +0200
>From is@jocelyn.rhein.de Wed Apr 12 11:59:35 2000
>Apr 12, 2000 at 03:51:20AM -0700
>
>On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 03:51:20AM -0700, P. M. wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been pulling my hair out the last couple of days trying to get
>ISDN
> > under Freebsd to work with my ISP (in case anyone cares, myOKAY.net,
>german
> > ISP). Every time isdnd establishes a connection to my ISP, it switches
> > state 4 and immediately disconnects again, giving either "normal call
>   -------
>
> > clearing (local)" or "normal call clearing (remote)" as the reason. This
> > happens after 0 seconds. I changed all the idle timouts, unitlength and
>all
>
> > back, thinking that maybe the error was there. I gave my proper
>myauthname
> > and myauthsecret in both cases. Nothing. Immediate disconnect. Strangely
>   ------------------------------
>
>No, you didn't... not successfully.
>
>ifconfig isp0 debug, then try again.
>
>You should see, hex-encoded, the comment of the authentication failure
>message in the syslog.
>
>Regards,
>	-is

Ok, I tried switching on debug, and now the dailin works just fine. I do get
quite a lot of messages from isp0 when dialing in, some of them about it
negotiating addresses, etc. Strangely enough, I can use any authname and
authsecret with spppcontrol isp0 and it will still dial in perfectly fine. I
really don't get it. As soon as I turn debug off, it's back to the initial
problem. Since I am not familiar with the internals of ppp authentication, I
don't really know exactly how to analyze the hex codes or what to do with
them. It must be an authentication problem. How can I figure out exactly
what went wrong (ie how to I get something human readable out of the hex
codes?). And just why does it work when debug is turned on?
Any help is really appreciated. BTW, I tried using PAP instead of CHAP and
set myauthname and myauthname to the according parameters and then I get
"PAP failed". Does it expect an authname and secret for the peer as well? I
just couldn't say what should be wrong with my login/pass. Except maybe that
my login contains an @ (in the form of username@myokay.net). I truly
appreciate any pointers that could help me solve my problem.

Regards,

Philipp Michel