Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:35:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kris@citusc.usc.edu (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen), kris@citusc.usc.edu (Kris Kennaway), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), imp@village.org (Warner Losh), jruigrok@via-net-works.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

>>> The point, which many people in this discussion somehow keep missing,
>>> is that when you do a default installation of recent versions of
>>> FreeBSD, the machine reboots with ssh enabled and working.
>>
>> Don't you first need to add your keys before ssh is usable?
>
> No. It does password-based authentication by default, always has.

Don't you need an ssh client before ssh is usable?

I have "telnet" and "ftp" everywhere.

Won't this make it difficult to bootstrap a headless 1U box
from a Windows or Macintosh box?

I'd bootstrap it from FreeBSD, but of course, FreeBSD can't
use my Winmodem, so I'm left with no connection to the net,
or no ssh to the 1U box, take your pick.

Doesn't anyone else use laptops when bootstrapping rack
mounted equipment?

I guess we could all go out and buy a PCMCIA modem for our
laptops, just so that we can have telnet and ftp disabled by
default...

Personally, I think this one-upmansship with OpenBSD is silly;
no one is "secure by default", and anyone claiming they are is
just leading users down the primrose path, until the next CERT
advisory makes them out to be a liar.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---