Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:04:19 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposing argv for klds and preloaded modules

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> > Don't forget, there are zero or more modules per file.  Which one gets the
> > arguments?  Coda (for example) is structured so that it has two modules, on
> > device (codadev) and one vfs (coda).
>
> It seems to me that the one who gets the arguments is the one who
> searches for it. :-)
>
> Either that, or the first file in the module. I don't recall right
> now the precise structure of this in memory.

The Plan(TM) was that things will be able to query the resource database.
What I've had in mind for a while is to take the argument strings etc and
merge them into the tables, but that's a rather device centric view.  They
would be installable either via preload args, kldload args and/or settable
via some userland tool  (sysctl would be ideal, but it's too limited in
it's design - it can't have arbitary strings, everything has to translate
to an OID first).

Cheers,
-Peter