Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:29:32 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        phnxcs_rep@lycos.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba A-205 S5880 laptop compatibility

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 21:48:09 +0000, phnxcs_rep@lycos.com wrote:
> I have an older Toshiba laptop and a (store bought) copy of FreeBSD 3.4
> and wonder if these two would play well together. The software is dated
> January 2000 and I bought the laptop new in November 2008.

In that case, it should even run a recent FreeBSD version. But
be careful what application programs you install: current web
browsers and other "bloatware" won't perform well on that machine,
while a good selection of efficient programs might even turn it
into a usable system (depends on what you want to use it for,
but basically, most non-web things are easily possible).

> The Toshiba is running Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2. I had
> planned to use Whitecanyon's WipeDrive8 to clean the HD and from my
> reading of the book (3rd edition) the four disks came with it seems I
> should be able to remove the MBR, repartition, and, format with the
> tools that came with FreeBSD.

You can use the installer (sysinstall) to remove anything from
the disk in the first step of installation, there is no real need
to prepare anything with 3rd party software.

> Toshiba Satellite A-205 S5880
> Intel Pentium Dual 1.86 GHz CPU (T2390)
> 3 GB RAM
> 32 Bit
> 184 GB HD (NTFS)
> CD/DVD
> etc., stock out of the box for the rest.

Will definitely run recent FreeBSD. My Thinkpads aren't much
better equipped either...

> I guess the two questions are:
>
> 1. is the laptop to old for this version of FreeBSD (ver. 3.4)

It's "too new" for FreeBSD 3.4. I think this system belongs into
the era of FreeBSD 5... but as I said, there is no need to use such
an old (and unsupported!) FreeBSD version.

However, for educational purposes, it will surely work, but don't
expect too much. ;-)

> 2. will the O.S. and the Toshiba work well enough together to make it
> worth the effort.

Probably yes.

Try to download a FreeSBIE 1.1 live system CD and boot with that.
It runs a FreeBSD 5.x version, a GUI, many tools for testing the
hardware, and additional application programs for "speed testing".
No need to install anything, just boot the CD and see.

Then move on to FreeBSD 10. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany