Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:13:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Systems Technician <systech@maui.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: high load averages on mail server

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Systems Technician <systech@maui.net> [000209 11:38] wrote:
> > Aloha,
> >
> > 	I'm stumped!  Here's what I got FreeBSD 3.4 running Sendmail 8.9.3
> > and Cucipop for POP.  (I've tried qpopper and no noticeable difference.)
> > Anyhow, my load averages just skyrocket from 8 - 5pm, especially in the morning
> > when people are checking their email at work or home.  I attached a print out
> > of 'w', 'top', 'vmstat 1', and 'systat -vm 1'.
> >

> You pretty much nailed it on the head, you have...
>
> >   PID USERNAME   PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> > 53298 xxxxxxx     91   0  1188K   852K RUN      0:22 29.02% 26.76% cucipop
> > 53391 root        57   0  1860K  1016K RUN      0:03  9.46%  6.15% top
> > 53508 xxxxxxx     92   0  1128K   792K RUN      0:01 17.88%  4.64% cucipop
> >   107 root         2   0  6904K  6348K select   2:28  1.61%  1.61% named
>
> what seems to be some pretty CPU intensive pop3 daemons running, not
> only that but a whole bunch of them.  Load avg is some mystical calculation
> involving how much contention for reasources there is on the machine.
>
> you have contention.
>
> there may be a more effecient pop3 daemon you might want to try, either
> that or get more CPU and better disks.

The time of day during which it happens is the tell-tale sign. Your
problem is most likely to be clueness business users who never delete
their mail from the server and check it every minute. You need to impose
quotas or ruthlessly wipe those 50MB mailboxes full of baby pictures and
Valentines from 1997. I can testify from experience that talking sense to
them will accomplish little. :)

Cucipop tends to eat fewer resources than qpopper but a couple of
enormous mailboxes checked at short intervals will drive either one
sky-high.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000