Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:39:18 +0100
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        Timothy Aslat <tim@spyderweb.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downgrading

* Timothy Aslat (tim@spyderweb.com.au) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Quick question.   Where would I find information on downgrading a
> -CURRENT to a -STABLE or -RELEASE?

Well, that's going to be a hard one. If you have been running CURRENT
for a while, and compiling ports in CURRENT, you will probably have lots
of apps that use libc5. And since STABLE has no 5.x compat libraries,
you would have to compile those all over again anyway. If it's a freshly
upgraded machine, I suppose a cvsup back to RELENG_4 and a rebuild of
world and kernel would work. I tried that once when I decided to upgrade
once to CURRENT, and something in CURRENT was broken, so I had to revert
my system back in some way. Lucky for me my compiler was still
functional, and also the rest of my toolchain, so I had little problems.

This was three or four months ago. You could try it, and possibly hose
your system, but it also might work. Reinstalling is always an option.
Just make sure you back up the important data. YMMV, and
#include <std_disclaimer.h>.

If someone here has better (and safer) ways to downgrade, feel free to
post :-)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Frisbeetarianism, n.:
	The belief that when you die, your soul goes up the on roof and