Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:22:56 +0800 (SGT)
From:      "Sudirman Hassan" <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
To:        anthony@atkielski.com
Cc:        sjt@cisco.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vi is a joke? Re: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

>> vi is a powerful tool, and any powerful tool requires
>> time to learn.  Just because it isn't apparent to
>> you, that doesn't make it a "joke".
>
> For the editing I want to do, I don't need a powerful tool, I need an
> intuitive tool.  Additionally, vi reeks of dumb terminals and
> thirty-year-old timesharing environments.  While some aspects of both
> remain applicable in the present day, most do not.  I'm not working on a
> teletype these days, so I don't need an editor that can accommodate one.

Use whatever you like. Who cares!!! There are so many editors in UNIX, so you
can choose any that fit you. Different editors for different people... if you have
one that you like, why bothers about other editors. each editor is made with
different need, different philosophy, different situation, different constraint.

I'm sick to people that arguing about editors in UNIX. UNIX means choice. Use
whatever you like. Please read UNIX Philosophy book.

I am a joker because vi is a "joke",
- dmn