Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:02:30 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: calcru / microuptime problem

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:00:26PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <200003131930.OAA80430@cs.rpi.edu>, "David E. Cross" writes:
> >I have had these problems ever since upgrading to -current about a
> >month ago.  The kernel very regularly spews out messages like:
> >> Mar 13 14:23:39 gemini /kernel: calcru: negative time of -2663631 usec for pid 568 (sshd2)
>
> Disable APM in your bios and remove apm from your config.

The 'microuptime() went backwards' happened to me also lately, week or
so ago. Tyan mobo with GX chipset, power management disabled completely
in the BIOS, no apm in kernel. Two PIII-550, one 20GB IBM disk (ATA).
Same symptoms as above, heavy disk I/O, I was stress-testing the
machine, except the machine hung for some unknown reason: I was able to
switch vty's and ping the machine but not login, no disk I/O.
I'm waiting for two 36GB IBM SCSI disks, which should arrive soon, then
the next round without ATA is what I'm planning.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee