Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:07:10 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (minor) install partitioning bug?

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:20:53PM +0200, Steve Mazerski wrote:
> However any attempt was answered with the the message
> "Unable to create the partition. Too big?" even using the
> "Auto defaults" option.
>
> After trying various things (random panic option tweaking,
> expletive cursing etc.) I booted into Linux and used
> the Linux fdisk to set the partition / slice type to FreeBSD.
> (I left the filesystem as it was).
>
> On restarting the FreeBSD installation process, I was able
> to create partitions as expected and the slice was
> formatted correctly.
>
> Is this a bug or have I missed something?

That looks like a known bug -- bin/24435 -- originally posted in
January 2001 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin%2F24435)
A patch was posted, but the bug is still open and not assigned to
anyone in particular, so chances are it's got forgotten.  If you
submit a follow-up someone may be inspired to commit a fix...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK