Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:33:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Kirk Fort <kirk@patrohn.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD finances

> I don't know where you heard this, but this isn't the case.
>
> Walnut Creek CDROM spends a lot of money on the Project, yes, but there
> is no such formal agreement (and indeed, if you think about it for a
> moment, there would be no incentive for such an agreement).

Actually, there is currently an informal agreement between ourselves
and the owner of Walnut Creek CDROM which states that WC will be
investing 100% (or something very close to it) of its net profits from
FreeBSD into the project for now.  We're in a growth phase right now
and such reinvestment is not unusual - Bob wants to make a bunch of
new things (like tech support) happen and he knows that it's going to
take some significant $$$ in the short term to make that happen.
Since we're making a reasonable but not killer profit at the moment
(the whole CD biz seems to be in a slump), that doesn't take a lot of
$$$ before reaching 100%.

> WC has never, to the best of my knowledge, given money to the FreeBSD
> project.  Assistance has always come in the form of non-cash assets

Yeah, they've done that too.  Paying Eugene, for example, is a pretty
good example of direct monetary contribution. :-)

> Since you're working from fundamentally flawed numbers to start with,
> none of this holds.  I'm not at liberty to discuss the actual numbers
> involved, but I can say that you're *wildly* off on the low side.

I was talking to him earlier about just the donation side, that is
money people give directly to FreeBSD, Inc. vs money spent on CDs.
That amount is, indeed, around $10K/yr (in a good year - some years
its as low as $4-$5K) and, of that, $600 goes to pay California's
ridiculously high corporation tax every year and $400 goes to the
company's accountant to keep the books balanced and generally handle
all the receipts.  I could have registered this corporation in Nevada
or something but it would have only added in a different set of
hassles, not necessarily a better/cheaper set.

> Money donated directly to FreeBSD Inc. is spent primarily on the
> following types of items:
>
>  - Hardware for developers (eg. new cards for driver development,
>    systems for testing purposes, other infrastructure).
>  - Consulting fees for developers specifically working on focussed
>    FreeBSD-related issues.
>  - Promotional activities.

That pretty much sums it up.

> Walnut Creek CDROM is known to support the FreeBSD Project in at least
> the following ways.  You'll note that none of these involve giving cash
> to FreeBSD Inc.

Right, no actual cash to FreeBSD, Inc. is given by WC, they preferring
to make their contributions directly and we also liking things that
way.  Give money to FreeBSD, Inc. and now I've just got to manage the
funds and see that they're spent before the end of the year (tax
time); agree to buy the hardware or developer hours yourself, however,
and now you've just made my job a lot easier.  That's another reason
FreeBSD, Inc. doesn't get more than $10K/yr worth of donations - it's
a lot better for me to get somebody like David Filo to hire a couple
of FreeBSD geeks (which is a $200K/yr proposition once you add
medical, dental and 401K) rather than trying to solicit the money for
such programs directly.

- Jordan