Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:45:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a2ps port/package

> When I first read the a2ps docs my first thought was to find a way to
> defeat the automatic pipe to lpr.

Well, the -nP switch forces output to stdout.  Either way you build it,
you can accomplish what you need.

What we're really talking about is what behavior is the most often used,
and then make that the one that takes the least typing.

On our systems, the postscript/text issues are dealt with within the
spooler (like you say it should be).  So we don't use a2ps as the filter
to run a PostScript printer, we use it for its page formatting
abilities.  And that means the tail end of a pipe involving a2ps almost
always involves "lpr".  We use -nP if we want to capture the output in a
file, or run it through a page selection filter.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com